My wife and I were debating what to watch on Netflix.
– I want to watch Buffy!
– But I want to watch The Deadliest Catch!
– No, Buffy!
– No. Deadliest Catch!
My wife won. So we were watching The Deadliest Catch. On the plus side, I got to draw boats while “watching”.
Fishing vessel a la The Deadliest Catch
Fishing vessel a la The Deadliest Catch
Paradisbukta at Bygdøy
Over the long weekend, the weather was beautiful, the wife had a friend visiting and we got around Oslo a little. The beaches at Bygdøy were full of people bathing in the sun and in the, by most accounts, still cold water.
I also got to visit the art supply store KEM where I picked up a few discount markers. Since the ladies went shopping I had time to sit propped up against some of the great graffiti and sketch the opposite view. Several tourists came by and took photos of each other against the wall I was next to.
Digging machine concept sketches
These are sketches from when I worked on Anarchy Online. I remember wishing we had gone for the top one, rather than the bottom one. I’d still like to model the top one and put it into a game.
Diana Mini and origami crane
I bought my Diana Mini out of necessity when I was in Beijing a few years ago, as my digital camera decided to finally stop working on the very first day of my stay there.
I had only been walking around Sanlitun for an hour when I saw the Lomography store, and realised here was my chance to not miss any more photo opportunities. At less than $100, including a few rolls of film, it seemed worth it at the time, and it absolutely was.
I have knocked this poor thing around quite a bit, but the simple plastic construction just won’t break. Apart from the lens cap, which I lost on the third day, of course.
Though I have to admit, sharing photos takes me a while – I am pretty sure I still have a roll or two of film shot about a year ago.
The above illustration was a result of me feeling like drawing something boxy, and when I needed something more on the page I resorted to origami, which I had just been busy with at work. I guess it turned into a proper hipster sketch.
A while back I was asked to quickly help out with a research illustration. It was a relatively simple vector illustration but I nevertheless wanted to come up with something on paper.
As I did these, I learnt quite a bit about the structure of DNA, so prepare for some trivia. One of my first attempts was symmetrical about the helixes’ axes, and showed a pretty arbitrary amount of base pairs.
This proved to be wrong, and while most illustrations of DNA are some sort of symbolic representation (The actual molecules probably look more like this.) there is a difference in the spacing between the two helixes (the backbone strands, made of phosphates and sugars)
These spaces are called the major and minor groove, and they serve a function. The base pairs in the major groove are more accessible than the ones in the minor, which results in some proteins binding only to bases exposed in the major, for example.
The distribution of base pairs is also specific, it turns out to be approximately 10.4 base pairs per turn of the helix. I think I rounded that down to 10 for simplification in the final illustration.
Another interesting exercise was to turn 2 helixes around a sphere or cylinder (which represent another molecule) – I ended up studying an old phone cord to wrap my head around it. While the final illustration was in no means real world accurate, at least it was better than my first attempt!
TLR camera sketch by me
The Rolleicord was a Twin Lens Reflex camera series by German manufacturers Franke & Heidecke from 1933 to 1976.
The sketch above is based on my own K3D model from ’53 – ’54, given to me by my father-in-law. It still shoots amazing quality photographs, and luckily 120 film isn’t as hard to come by as I had feared.
For some reason I gave the sketch a “Rolleyflap” label.
BT-13 Vultee sketch by me
The BT-13 Vultee Valiant was a training aircraft flown by American pilots during WWII. Made by Vultee Aircraft , the first one flew in 1939.
With all variants of this included, some 10,000 – 13,000 were produced during the war.
Later, they were sold cheap as surplus, some of which were to appear in the 1969 film “Tora! Tora! Tora!”